Sunday, September 11, 2011

Another Round

     Since loosing the rest of my weight and getting pregnant, I've been absent from this blog a long time.  I must confess I've missed it a little.  Something I had thought about for awhile before I met my goal, was to continue taking pictures of food and keep up the accountability so I could stay on track.  Before getting pregnant, I thought I would take a few months to maintain my goal weight and then readjust to my goals so that I could lose another 15 pounds and for once in my life be at my ideal weight for my height.  Well, of course, plans certainly changed rather quickly considering loosing weight wasn't an option.  During, my first trimester I experienced morning sickness and that helped keep the weight gain at bay.  Once it was over, though, the weight has slowly crept back on.  Don't think I'm trying to stop it.  I fully understand that I need to gain weight to keep myself and my baby happy and healthy.  My biggest concern is with what I'm eating and eating too much and gaining weight too quickly so that it's above and beyond the healthy amount. I think that when pregnant women are told they shouldn't diet, they should instead be told, "Don't diet to lose weight, diet to stay healthy."  Some might need further clarification, but I think that takes the voodoo out of the word "dieting".  I want to pregnancy diet, not trim-the-fat diet.

     So here's my plan:

-  Take a picture of everything I consume.

-  Post pictures on the Diet Blog for every day.*

-  On Monday thru Friday do Yoga routine from Yoga DVD.  Saturday and Sunday go for walks.  Two miles the second trimester and one to one and a half miles the third.  Might do more weight lifting and calisthenics as desired and needed.

-  Keep track of calories on My Daily Plate.  I've already adjusted the calories to 300 more than I would need to maintain my goal weight and in my third trimester I'll readjust it to 500 more.**

     I don't plan on doing any particular diet, but I would LOVE and appreciate any recipes you might want to share that are especially good and healthy during pregnancy.  After listening to a podcast on Pregtastic, which I highly recommend by the way, with the author of "I'm Pregnant, Now What Do I Eat", I'm considering going to Barnes and Noble and picking up a copy.  It starts with great information about having a good diet during pregnancy and then also gives recipes.  The author, is an OBGYN, teamed up with her chef hubby and put together recipes that are packed with pregnancy super foods.

     I already started taking pictures today, and it feels very natural and I'm excited to give myself that accountability again, since I haven't been doing to well as of late.  Encouragement and words of wisdom are welcome.  Remember, I'm new to this and will probably make mistakes, but that's how we learn.

* Before, I was doing posts by meal.  This time I'll be posting by day.  Also, I won't be posting the calories and I'm still not sure I want to post my weigh-ins, but I'm considering it.

** As far as I have been able to gather, this is the most appropriate way to add calories to your diet.  If you have facts that suggest otherwise, please share.  :)

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! It sounds like you have a really good, reasonable plan in place. Just be sure to not be too hard on yourself if you put on more pounds than you want. Sometimes pregnant bodies just put on weight even if you're eating really well. When your baby comes, you will be able to get it back off again because you have some great habits now.

    ReplyDelete